Monday, December 12, 2011

You will get Knocked Down – Will you Stay Down?

My objective is to help you to point your creative imagination and enquiring mind in the direction of all the positive things that abound and to try to highlight all the wonderful possibilities, which are available to you. I want you to learn to look for and see all the abundance, possibilities, potential and incredible opportunities that are everywhere, if you are willing to look at the world through inquisitive eyes and search your environment with an open mind. A positive mental attitude, belief in your ability to partake in the abundance, which is everywhere and an enquiring and creative mind, is very necessary if you want to move your life in a positive direction toward super achievement.
“Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.” -Thomas Jefferson
This all sounds really rosy and appealing, but what happens when life happens and you get knocked down? The reality we live is most certainly not just filled with positive events and perfect outcomes. Very often we face challenges, it is most certainly not always a sunny day with blue skies, it often rains and in some cases there is even thunder and lightning. How can you stay focused and inspired when the inevitable challenges do arrive on your doorstep?
Martin Luther King Jr. said it so well, when he said: “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge.” It is only when we are presented with those challenges that we get to separate ourselves from other men and women.
I was involved in a really serious car accident in March of 1995. My cervical spine was fractured and I lost 20 X 16 cm of the top of my head. The orthopaedic surgeon gave me about a 5 % chance of ever walking again. This accident was the greatest challenge I had ever faced in my life. The doctors were convinced that even if I did recover I would never be the same again, I would be disfigured and have physical challenges for the rest of my life.
What the doctors could not diagnose was my positive attitude, spirit, will and determination. Against all medical probability and prediction, in less than a year after I was told I may never walk again, I ran a 90 Km (56 mile) Ultra marathon between Pietermaritzburg and Durban. I refused to allow the tragedy and challenge of this car accident to define me, I invested all my energy after the accident into chasing my dream to excel and become a super achiever.
The rigorous efforts and daily discipline that had seen me build a number of very successful businesses before my accident, was re-focused onto reclaiming a part of me, which had been damaged in the accident. Despite the odds that were stacked so heavily against me, I was determined to fully recover and did what I had to do to get back on my feet and become whole again.
I put so much effort into my recovery that I believe that I was physically stronger after the accident than I was before. I also change the course of my life from a selfish one, where I was driven to succeed at all costs and would walk over who ever stood in way, to a far better place, where I wanted to become someone that could help and support as many people as possible to realise their dreams.  
Getting knocked down and facing challenges is all part of the cycle of life. I am positive that you have been knocked down, faced obstacles and encountered many challenges in your life. Have you allowed them to overwhelm you or have you invested as much of yourself as necessary to overcome them. Have you come out on the other side of any challenge a better person?
You are amazing, have unlimited potential and the ability to overcome any challenges that may come your way. See every challenge or obstacle as inevitable and expected and an integral part of the success process. No challenge is insurmountable; you have what it takes to overcome anything and to actually come out of any challenge a better person. Stop shrinking away from challenges and obstacles and have the courage to face and overcome them.
Author: Andrew Horton Motivational Speakers




No comments:

Post a Comment